WILL OF GOD – by Tanis Harms, © 2013
WILL OF GOD – by Tanis Harms, © 2013
.....use in address bar: churchskits.blogspot.com
STYLE:
Drama. (4 pages)
PREMISE:
People discuss what the will of God should look like in our lives.
TOPIC:
Knowing God’s will.
SCRIPTURE:
Ps.143:10; Mt.16:4, 2Tim.3:16-17, Jms.1:5.
CHARACTERS (LINE COUNT) DESCRIPTION:
(15) PERSON 1 –
(14) PERSON 2 –
PROPS:
Device, Bible, table and 2 chairs.
SCRIPT:
(Person 1 sits and reads verse from Bible.)
PERSON 1:
(reading Psalm 143:10, NASB)
“Teach me to do Your will, for You are my God. Let Your good Spirit lead me on level ground.”
(pausing to think then pray)
Okay Lord, please give me wisdom to do your will, in finding the right job. Thank you. Amen!
(Person 1 now takes device and starts to scroll, perplexed. Person 2 enters and sits down next to Person 1.)
PERSON 2:
What’s up?
PERSON 1:
I’m looking for a job. But I want to find the job that God would want me to do.
PERSON 2:
And what does that look like?
PERSON 1:
I don’t know. I was kind of hoping that God would just make it really obvious; like giving me a sign, or writing a message on the wall. Something specific– that clearly said- “Do this job! This one is the will of God.” That would be most helpful.
PERSON 2:
(grabbing Bible, reading Matthew 16:4)
“An evil and adulterous generation wants a sign; and so a sign will not be given-”
PERSON 1:
Well! How am I supposed to know God’s will, then? I would think that God’s will would be very specific.
PERSON 2:
(reading 2 Timothy 2:22)
.....use in address bar: churchskits.blogspot.com
STYLE:
Drama. (4 pages)
PREMISE:
People discuss what the will of God should look like in our lives.
TOPIC:
Knowing God’s will.
SCRIPTURE:
Ps.143:10; Mt.16:4, 2Tim.3:16-17, Jms.1:5.
CHARACTERS (LINE COUNT) DESCRIPTION:
(15) PERSON 1 –
(14) PERSON 2 –
PROPS:
Device, Bible, table and 2 chairs.
SCRIPT:
(Person 1 sits and reads verse from Bible.)
PERSON 1:
(reading Psalm 143:10, NASB)
“Teach me to do Your will, for You are my God. Let Your good Spirit lead me on level ground.”
(pausing to think then pray)
Okay Lord, please give me wisdom to do your will, in finding the right job. Thank you. Amen!
(Person 1 now takes device and starts to scroll, perplexed. Person 2 enters and sits down next to Person 1.)
PERSON 2:
What’s up?
PERSON 1:
I’m looking for a job. But I want to find the job that God would want me to do.
PERSON 2:
And what does that look like?
PERSON 1:
I don’t know. I was kind of hoping that God would just make it really obvious; like giving me a sign, or writing a message on the wall. Something specific– that clearly said- “Do this job! This one is the will of God.” That would be most helpful.
PERSON 2:
(grabbing Bible, reading Matthew 16:4)
“An evil and adulterous generation wants a sign; and so a sign will not be given-”
PERSON 1:
Well! How am I supposed to know God’s will, then? I would think that God’s will would be very specific.
PERSON 2:
(reading 2 Timothy 2:22)
“Now flee from youthful lusts and pursue righteousness, faith, love and peace, with those who call on the Lord from a pure heart.”
(looking up)
Specific enough?
PERSON 1:
That’s specifically general, and something we should always be doing.
PERSON 2:
(reading James 1:5)
“But if any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all generously and without reproach, and it will be given to him.”
PERSON 1:
I’ve already done that. What else?
PERSON 2:
What would you like to do? Or, what could you do?
PERSON 1:
It cannot be that simple.
PERSON 2:
God did create each one of us with unique gifts and talents. The things that we are good at and find joy in doing, are usually our gifts.
PERSON 1:
You’re just raising a WHOLE other question.
PERSON 2:
Why? Just because they are called “spiritual gifts” doesn’t mean they are cloaked in some deep mystery. And we don’t have to somehow spiritualize them. It’s when we use these gifts to serve God– ALL in God’s direction, ALL in God’s power– ALL to His glory!
PERSON 1:
But that’s to serve God.
PERSON 2:
(reading Colossians 3:23)
“Whatever you do, do your work heartily, as for the Lord and not for people.” We never know what God can use to help carry out His will and His plans.
PERSON 1:
Interesting point. But there’s still that needing to see, find or have God’s direction.
PERSON 2:
Since you’ve been praying about it. God is faithful to answer your prayers, and provide for your needs. He knows that you need to work to pay the bills. And if you are actually filling out application forms, opportunities will come along.
PERSON 1:
But some of them are tests! I had an interview with someone that was very evasive about what I’d actually be doing.
PERSON 2:
So then, that was a clear “no”. And- okay, I’ve got an idea to help illustrate. Imagine that this tabletop represents God’s will. If you are on the tabletop, you are in God’s will.
PERSON 1:
Ooookay.
PERSON 2:
You get a job, as a manager, for example, and you do your best, being kind and encouraging to others and treating them fairly... THIS puts you on the tabletop, meaning you are in God’s will. But now let’s say– you develop a bad attitude and treat others poorly. You would now be off the tabletop– meaning- NOT in God’s will.
PERSON 1:
What if I’m supposed to be a missionary? I know- we’re all to be missionaries wherever we are, but I’m talking about going out as a missionary to another country.
PERSON 2:
Same thing. What if you WERE a missionary, but treated others poorly, and had problems trusting God to provide your support.
PERSON 1:
I would be out of God’s will. I would need confess and adjust my attitude, and start trusting God to provide. Okay! But- I am assuming that waiting on the Lord does not mean to just sit back and do nothing. I should just start applying for various jobs, already!
PERSON 2:
Hey, and if God has a very specific path for you, it is going to be obvious, just not, writing-on-the-wall-obvious. Or, maybe it will be. I don’t know.
PERSON 1:
Okay, so once I find a job, we can then discuss what it looks like to find the right person to marry.
PERSON 2:
That one is actually simpler. In joy and contentment, live in God’s will, and be doing God’s will. And when you see someone walking in the same direction, introduce yourself.
PERSON 1:
Huh. Okay. Well, thank you. You are strangely helpful.
(looking up)
Specific enough?
PERSON 1:
That’s specifically general, and something we should always be doing.
PERSON 2:
(reading James 1:5)
“But if any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all generously and without reproach, and it will be given to him.”
PERSON 1:
I’ve already done that. What else?
PERSON 2:
What would you like to do? Or, what could you do?
PERSON 1:
It cannot be that simple.
PERSON 2:
God did create each one of us with unique gifts and talents. The things that we are good at and find joy in doing, are usually our gifts.
PERSON 1:
You’re just raising a WHOLE other question.
PERSON 2:
Why? Just because they are called “spiritual gifts” doesn’t mean they are cloaked in some deep mystery. And we don’t have to somehow spiritualize them. It’s when we use these gifts to serve God– ALL in God’s direction, ALL in God’s power– ALL to His glory!
PERSON 1:
But that’s to serve God.
PERSON 2:
(reading Colossians 3:23)
“Whatever you do, do your work heartily, as for the Lord and not for people.” We never know what God can use to help carry out His will and His plans.
PERSON 1:
Interesting point. But there’s still that needing to see, find or have God’s direction.
PERSON 2:
Since you’ve been praying about it. God is faithful to answer your prayers, and provide for your needs. He knows that you need to work to pay the bills. And if you are actually filling out application forms, opportunities will come along.
PERSON 1:
But some of them are tests! I had an interview with someone that was very evasive about what I’d actually be doing.
PERSON 2:
So then, that was a clear “no”. And- okay, I’ve got an idea to help illustrate. Imagine that this tabletop represents God’s will. If you are on the tabletop, you are in God’s will.
PERSON 1:
Ooookay.
PERSON 2:
You get a job, as a manager, for example, and you do your best, being kind and encouraging to others and treating them fairly... THIS puts you on the tabletop, meaning you are in God’s will. But now let’s say– you develop a bad attitude and treat others poorly. You would now be off the tabletop– meaning- NOT in God’s will.
PERSON 1:
What if I’m supposed to be a missionary? I know- we’re all to be missionaries wherever we are, but I’m talking about going out as a missionary to another country.
PERSON 2:
Same thing. What if you WERE a missionary, but treated others poorly, and had problems trusting God to provide your support.
PERSON 1:
I would be out of God’s will. I would need confess and adjust my attitude, and start trusting God to provide. Okay! But- I am assuming that waiting on the Lord does not mean to just sit back and do nothing. I should just start applying for various jobs, already!
PERSON 2:
Hey, and if God has a very specific path for you, it is going to be obvious, just not, writing-on-the-wall-obvious. Or, maybe it will be. I don’t know.
PERSON 1:
Okay, so once I find a job, we can then discuss what it looks like to find the right person to marry.
PERSON 2:
That one is actually simpler. In joy and contentment, live in God’s will, and be doing God’s will. And when you see someone walking in the same direction, introduce yourself.
PERSON 1:
Huh. Okay. Well, thank you. You are strangely helpful.
Comments
Post a Comment