BEING THANKFUL – by Tanis Harms, © 2026

BEING THANKFUL – by Tanis Harms, © 2026
.....use in address bar: churchskits.blogspot.com


STYLE:
Drama. (2 pages)

PREMISE:
Doug struggles to find something to be thankful for, until him and his friend, Mike, meet up with Gary.

TOPIC:
Thankfulness.

SCRIPTURE:
1 Thessalonians 5:16–18.

CHARACTERS (LINE COUNT) DESCRIPTION:
(4) DOUG – self-centered teen
(5) MIKE – good friend
(2) GARY – teen with a really good perspective

SCRIPT: takes place outside.

(Doug enters, kicking sullenly at the ground, hands in pockets. Mike enters from other side and notices Doug’s mood.)

MIKE:
Hey, Doug. What’s up? You look- something. Aren’t you looking forward to Thanksgiving?

DOUG:
That’s just it. Every Thanksgiving at the big meal, we have to go around the table and share what we are thankful for. And I’ve got nothing.

MIKE:
Nothing? You can’t think of anything? Seriously? It’s not like you have a hard life or anything.

DOUG:
I want to get a car, but my parents say I’d have to work for it.

MIKE:
Uh-huh, uh-huh. Well-

(Mike sees someone offstage behind Doug, soon approaching.)

MIKE:
Ah, well, here comes someone who has a very valid excuse to not be thankful. If there ever was one. Remember Gary? His dad was recently laid off. His mom is dying of cancer. His brother Stan is a jerk. Gary’s bike was just stolen. And he didn’t make the cut for football this year. Hold up. Here he comes now.

(Gary enters. Seeing Mike and Doug, Gary waves and approaches.)

GARY:
Hey, guys. How’s it going? So, what are we talking about?

DOUG:
Not having anything to be thankful for. I suppose you can relate?

GARY:
Not really. There’s so much to be thankful for. There’s God’s faithfulness, strength, PEACE, provision, guidance, spiritual healing... Because of what Mom is going through, my brother, Stan, became a believer. And with Dad looking for work, we’ve been praying together, and we’re all getting closer to God, and closer as a family. Plus, not being on the football team has given me more time to get better grades, and be at home more. So, our elderly neighbor heard that my bike was stolen, and he gave me his. I mean, it needed repairing, but this has given me a chance to do something with Stan. Well, as we’re working on this bike, it’s given us an idea and opportunity to create a small business. And Dad is totally into it. Which reminds me, I’ve got an errand to run. See you around. Happy Thanksgiving.

(Mike salutes a wave. Doug gives a questionable wave, then looks at Mike.)

MIKE:
So, did you get any ideas about what you can be thankful for?

DOUG:
Yeah. I should be thankful- in everything!
(listing things off as they exit)
Starting with food always being there. A roof over my head. Loving and caring parents. A sister who isn’t all that terrible. I did get a really good history teacher this year...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

YOU DO KNOW THAT I LOVE YOU – by Tanis Harms, © 2014

AGING GRACEFULLY – by Tanis Harms, © 2013