AGING GRACEFULLY – by Tanis Harms, © 2013
AGING GRACEFULLY – by Tanis Harms, © 2013
.....use in address bar: churchskits.blogspot.com
STYLE:
Drama. (3 pages)
PREMISE:
An older person gives their perspective about aging, serving God, and going to heaven.
TOPIC:
Heaven, love, strength, salvation.
SCRIPTURE:
Ecc.7:2; 1Cor.2:3-5; 2Cor.5:1-10; Phil.1:21-26, 3:13-20; Titus2:2-3; Heb.11:16; 1Pet.1:3-5; Rev.21:1-22:5 (NASB).
CHARACTER:
OLDER PERSON –
PROPS:
Bible (script can be placed inside).
SCRIPT:
(Older Person enters, holding an open Bible.)
PERSON:
We do not know when the coming of the Lord will happen– when all those who believe are caught up in the air to go live with our heavenly Father for all eternity; but we do know that as time ticks on– THAT day only continues to draw nearer. Just as we do not know when any of us will die; but we do know that as we keep getting older– we do continually come closer and closer to that time of passing, which is something that many people avoid thinking about. But- as King Solomon wrote in Ecclesiastes 7:2,
(reading from Bible)
“It is better to go to a house of mourning than to go to a house of feasting, because that is the end of every man, and the living takes it to heart.”
(Person looks up, contemplatively.)
PERSON:
It causes us to assess our situation. To reevaluate ourselves. As I get older, I do think about it more- And I am so looking forward to heaven. Where every tear is wiped dry and there is no more suffering. I will be given a brand new body, completely free of aches and pains. Most importantly, I will be enjoying a perfect existence with my Lord and Savior. Until that time though, I am here, struggling to get through each day- in THIS body– with this limited mind! What I do know, is that I have not yet arrived. I most certainly do not know everything. Actually, the older I get, the more I realize just how little I know. Paul says in Philippians 3:13-16,
(reading)
“Brethren, I do not regard myself as having laid hold of it yet; but one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind”-
(becoming lighthearted)
Although I might be getting slightly more forgetful, this statement means much more than that. I believe it means we should reconcile, forgive and move on from past arguments and troubles. Not allowing past accounts affect the way we live now. Because Paul goes on to say that we should be...
(reading)
“Reaching forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus. Let us therefore, as many as are perfect, have– this- attitude”...
(nodding in agreement)
Yes, I need to constantly check my attitude. I most certainly do not want to become the grumpy old man/woman. No one should be complainers– at any age. So,
(reading)
“if in anything you have a DIFFERENT attitude, God will reveal that also to you; however, let us keep living by that same standard to which we have attained.”
(with zealous agreement)
There is STILL something for me to learn– and work on. Self-improvement, striving to be Christ-like, and serving God– should never end. Did God mean for any of us to retire? To use our age as an excuse? Most definitely we are not to retire from being a Christ-like example! If anything, it should be MORE. We are told to be teaching the younger. We may not be as strong or fast as we once were, but that’s okay. We are only asked to do what we are able. And God is there to strengthen us.
PERSON:
(reading)
In 1 Corinthians 2:3-5, Paul says, “I was with you in weakness and in fear and in much trembling, and my message and my preaching were not in persuasive words of wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power, so that your faith would not rest on the wisdom of men, but on the power of God.”
(most sincerely)
I love that. Because it gives me the reassurance that as my strength continues to grow weaker– it can only become stronger in God’s power! Yes, because I must continue to rest more and more on God. That is true growth. So, although I long for the day when I am in heaven, one of my fears is HOW this will all happen. I can only trust God to get me through that gracefully, because WHILE I am still around, there is STILL something God desires me to do. Just as Paul says in Philippians 1:21-25,
(reading)
“For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. But if I am to live on in the flesh, this will mean fruitful labor for me; and I do not know which to choose. But I am hard-pressed from both directions, having the desire to depart and be with Christ, for that is very much better; yet to remain on in the flesh is more necessary for your sake. Convinced of this, I know that I will remain and continue with you all for your progress and joy in the faith.”
(summarizing)
No matter our age, we can embrace Paul’s attitude and his example. And while we are still here– there is still much work to be done.
.....use in address bar: churchskits.blogspot.com
STYLE:
Drama. (3 pages)
PREMISE:
An older person gives their perspective about aging, serving God, and going to heaven.
TOPIC:
Heaven, love, strength, salvation.
SCRIPTURE:
Ecc.7:2; 1Cor.2:3-5; 2Cor.5:1-10; Phil.1:21-26, 3:13-20; Titus2:2-3; Heb.11:16; 1Pet.1:3-5; Rev.21:1-22:5 (NASB).
CHARACTER:
OLDER PERSON –
PROPS:
Bible (script can be placed inside).
SCRIPT:
(Older Person enters, holding an open Bible.)
PERSON:
We do not know when the coming of the Lord will happen– when all those who believe are caught up in the air to go live with our heavenly Father for all eternity; but we do know that as time ticks on– THAT day only continues to draw nearer. Just as we do not know when any of us will die; but we do know that as we keep getting older– we do continually come closer and closer to that time of passing, which is something that many people avoid thinking about. But- as King Solomon wrote in Ecclesiastes 7:2,
(reading from Bible)
“It is better to go to a house of mourning than to go to a house of feasting, because that is the end of every man, and the living takes it to heart.”
(Person looks up, contemplatively.)
PERSON:
It causes us to assess our situation. To reevaluate ourselves. As I get older, I do think about it more- And I am so looking forward to heaven. Where every tear is wiped dry and there is no more suffering. I will be given a brand new body, completely free of aches and pains. Most importantly, I will be enjoying a perfect existence with my Lord and Savior. Until that time though, I am here, struggling to get through each day- in THIS body– with this limited mind! What I do know, is that I have not yet arrived. I most certainly do not know everything. Actually, the older I get, the more I realize just how little I know. Paul says in Philippians 3:13-16,
(reading)
“Brethren, I do not regard myself as having laid hold of it yet; but one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind”-
(becoming lighthearted)
Although I might be getting slightly more forgetful, this statement means much more than that. I believe it means we should reconcile, forgive and move on from past arguments and troubles. Not allowing past accounts affect the way we live now. Because Paul goes on to say that we should be...
(reading)
“Reaching forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus. Let us therefore, as many as are perfect, have– this- attitude”...
(nodding in agreement)
Yes, I need to constantly check my attitude. I most certainly do not want to become the grumpy old man/woman. No one should be complainers– at any age. So,
(reading)
“if in anything you have a DIFFERENT attitude, God will reveal that also to you; however, let us keep living by that same standard to which we have attained.”
(with zealous agreement)
There is STILL something for me to learn– and work on. Self-improvement, striving to be Christ-like, and serving God– should never end. Did God mean for any of us to retire? To use our age as an excuse? Most definitely we are not to retire from being a Christ-like example! If anything, it should be MORE. We are told to be teaching the younger. We may not be as strong or fast as we once were, but that’s okay. We are only asked to do what we are able. And God is there to strengthen us.
PERSON:
(reading)
In 1 Corinthians 2:3-5, Paul says, “I was with you in weakness and in fear and in much trembling, and my message and my preaching were not in persuasive words of wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power, so that your faith would not rest on the wisdom of men, but on the power of God.”
(most sincerely)
I love that. Because it gives me the reassurance that as my strength continues to grow weaker– it can only become stronger in God’s power! Yes, because I must continue to rest more and more on God. That is true growth. So, although I long for the day when I am in heaven, one of my fears is HOW this will all happen. I can only trust God to get me through that gracefully, because WHILE I am still around, there is STILL something God desires me to do. Just as Paul says in Philippians 1:21-25,
(reading)
“For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. But if I am to live on in the flesh, this will mean fruitful labor for me; and I do not know which to choose. But I am hard-pressed from both directions, having the desire to depart and be with Christ, for that is very much better; yet to remain on in the flesh is more necessary for your sake. Convinced of this, I know that I will remain and continue with you all for your progress and joy in the faith.”
(summarizing)
No matter our age, we can embrace Paul’s attitude and his example. And while we are still here– there is still much work to be done.
Comments
Post a Comment