ALICE IN STUDY MODE – by Tanis Harms, © 2012
ALICE IN STUDY MODE – by Tanis Harms, © 2012
.....use in address bar: churchskits.blogspot.com
STYLE:
Satire. (10 pages)
PREMISE:
Alice wants to know more about God and what the Bible says, and looks to several different study groups for direction.
TOPIC:
Study God’s word, know truth.
SCRIPTURE:
2 Tim.2:15.
CHARACTERS (LINE COUNT) DESCRIPTION:
(22) ALICE – new Christian
(23) FRIEND – Christian
(11) WISHY – member of a wishy-washy study group
( 9) WASHY – member of a wishy-washy study group
( 6) LEGAL – member of a legalistic study group
( 5) LITIGIOUS – member of a legalistic study group
( 4) STEADFAST - member of doctrinal sound group
( 7) SINCERE – member of doctrinal sound group
NOTES:
- Groups can be bigger, and you can divide up the lines.
- Both skits stand on their own, but if you want to make a longer “drama,” you can start with “Alice in Search Mode”, then flow it into “Alice in Study Mode”; beginning with the search for purpose, then continuing the search for clarity.
PROPS:
3 tables, chairs, 7 Bibles, lots of books.
SCRIPT:
(Wishy and Washy’s group mimes a deep conversation at their table, which has tons of books. Legal and Litigious sit quietly at their table, reading their Bibles. While, Sincere and Steadfast’s group are studying their Bibles, as well as miming the occasional prayer. Each with a Bible, Alice and Friend enter and look around.)
FRIEND:
I’m sure these people with Bible studies will be able to offer more guidance than I’m able to give you right now.
ALICE:
So, which group of people should we approach?
FRIEND:
It’s not always that easy to tell. At least, not always by first impressions. But once you get to know people, it becomes more obvious. Something about fruit. Like, when they practice what they preach.
ALICE:
I just want to know the truth and our purpose in life.
FRIEND:
Like I said, I know the answers are in this book, but I’m still fairly new to this. I mean, I know SOME things, and I know– what I know. BUT I DO know- that I need to know way more. And other Christians can help with that.
ALICE:
Okay, so let’s do this then! But- which group of people should we approach?
FRIEND:
I say– that one.
(Friend points to Sincere and Steadfast’s study group.)
ALICE:
Oh, I was kind of thinking this other one. They have way more books.
(Alice marches toward Wishy and Washy’s group and stands there, waiting. Finally, Wishy looks up.)
ALICE:
Hi? I hope you can help. I want to know truth.
WISHY:
Absolutely. So, what kind of truth?
ALICE:
THE truth.
FRIEND:
God’s truth. In other words, we want to know more about what’s in the Bible.
WISHY:
Oh, well, that’s a very big book.
WASHY:
Yeah, LOTS of pages. And with LOTS of ideas, that can be interpreted in so many different ways.
FRIEND:
Really? Well, the one verse I know is John 3:16 which says God sent His one and only Son to die for us so that when we believe, we will have eternal life with Him in heaven.
WISHY:
(philosophically)
But when or how we “believe”– what is ALL really involved in that?
WASHY:
And did the Son really die, or was it figuratively, as this author writes in his book.
(Washy holds up a book.)
WISHY:
This author, here, goes into other debates on that issue.
(holding up another book)
But, what’s really clear is that you need to know things so you can feel the right things.
WASHY:
We just need guidelines really. If it doesn’t FEEL right, then what the Bible offers are only suggestions.
WISHY:
There is supposedly a verse in the Bible- something about knowing, believing and asking– then getting stuff.
(Washy fishes for and holds up yet another book.)
WASHY:
Exactly. Like, I’m definitely feeling the things that this book is saying about that-
FRIEND:
Again– what does the Bible say? Where is your Bible, by the way? Don’t you have a Bible?
WISHY:
Well, that’s the thing. All of these authors have studied the Bible, or have studied writings by others who have studied the Bible, and have come up with different ideas and interpretations that are way more palatable.
WASHY:
That’s why I recommend that you read whichever books you feel are closest to what you want.
ALICE:
But there IS purpose to life, right?!
WASHY:
Of course. God wants us to feel good.
FRIEND:
As in joy! God definitely wants us to experience joy!
WISHY:
I do think the Bible has the word “joy” in it- in several places. From what we’ve been told.
ALICE:
So how do you find joy?
WISHY:
It’s very complicated. I mean, you really just need to-
FRIEND:
FEEL IT?
WISHY:
Yeeeaaah.
(Washy motions to all of the books.)
WASHY:
And read lots of books– and articles- on whatever topic you might be curious about. One cannot do enough research. Especially if you are the type who likes to debate.
FRIEND:
What about putting into practice the stuff you have learned?
WISHY:
It is WAY better to be knowledgeable.
WASHY:
Oh! I’ve got a book right here on wisdom. It is all about the different ideas of interpretation. There isn’t really any way to know with clarity what God is actually saying.
(Friend looks at Alice with arms out in questioning wonder, like ‘what is going on?’)
ALICE:
I feel like I’ve been here before.
WASHY:
Déjà vu?
ALICE:
I’m feel like I’m getting the run around. I just want– I need- something definitive. I want to know God’s truth.
FRIEND:
Here is truth- this- is a waste of time.
WISHY:
You don’t want to know what we think?
FRIEND:
That’s the problem– all we are hearing is what YOU think. We are more interested in what God says. Come on.
(Wishy and Washy wave them off and exit, as Friend and Alice walk over to the next table where Legit and Litigious are pouring over their Bibles. Both look up.)
LEGAL:
Are you here to join our group?
ALICE:
If you’ll have us.
LITIGIOUS:
Of course we will. Our church will be very impressed that we have added to our numbers.
FRIEND:
It’s nice to see that you all have Bibles.
LEGAL:
Of course we have Bibles.
ALICE:
So you know God’s truth?
LITIGIOUS:
We have to. God’s laws are truth. How else can we obey, if we don’t know God’s laws!?
FRIEND:
I’ve also been told about God’s love and grace.
ALICE:
I have so many questions, I can’t wait to get started.
LITIGIOUS:
Well, before we get started, let’s get something straight, here. You need to just take our word for it. Asking questions isn’t a good idea. One starts to drift into that type of belief system where one goes by their feelings.
ALICE:
We just met a few of those-
LEGAL:
Stay away from those! What’s important is that you start memorizing the Ten Commandments. AND we can fill you in on what those all entail. Like, for instance, what you’re wearing. I know you don’t know any better, yet. But after this you will, and then you can do better next time.
ALICE:
What is wrong with what I’m wearing?
LEGAL:
Where do I start?
FRIEND:
Hold on, you glossed over the point I made before about God’s love and grace.
LITIGIOUS:
Listen, those are very dangerous concepts, that can lead to disobedience. Just the fact that you are curious about it, leads me to think that you have a rebellious heart, and are getting ready to commit a sin. You need to repent!
ALICE:
(to Friend)
I feel afraid to move.
LEGAL:
That is the only thing you should feel. Fear! We are to fear the Lord!
FRIEND:
I have to think and pray about this. We are free to think and pray, right?
LEGAL:
Only if it leads to repentance and obedience.
ALICE:
Okay, well, then, see you around.
LITIGIOUS:
If you leave, you are sinning!
(Alice is suddenly afraid to move. Friend grabs Alice and drags her out. As they rush away, they happen upon the third and last table. Sincere and Steadfast group look up, intent on helping.)
SINCERE:
Hi, welcome. Did you want to join us!
FRIEND:
Ah, thank you? I don’t know. Maybe you can or cannot help. We seriously need some guidance.
ALICE:
I want to know God’s truth. And if there is purpose.
STEADFAST:
(finding and reading)
Well, Jesus says, in John 14:6, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father except through Me.” And regarding purpose, Romans 8:28 says, “And we know that God causes all things to work together for good- to those who love God- to those who are called according to His purpose.”
FRIEND:
That’s deep. Can you say anything about God’s grace?
SINCERE:
Definitely. In Ephesians 2:8-9, it says, “For by grace you have been saved through faith; and this is not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; not a result of works, so that no one may boast.”
ALICE:
I have so much to learn.
FRIEND:
Me, as well, but we first have to know a few things. Like, are you guided by God’s laws or by feelings?
SINCERE:
Ah, while we all have God-given consciences- as believers, we should be guided by God’s words and His indwelling Holy Spirit, as well as other steadfast believers. While God gives instructions to help us grow in our faith, and help us get along with others, Christianity is not about do’s and don’ts. It’s all about having a personal relationship with the Lord! And the Bible is His love letter to us. So, when we do obey, because we love Him, that is when we will experience God and His blessings.
FRIEND:
So, God’s grace is important?
SINCERE:
Because of God’s grace, we cannot lose our salvation!
FRIEND:
And, asking about it is not rebellious?
SINCERE:
What?! I don’t know where you’d get that idea from. We believe the Bible is the inerrant word of God, and the final authority. Therefore, we encourage everyone not to just take our word for it, but ask questions, and study the Bible on your own, every day. Then, every week, we meet for a Bible study. As well, why don’t you come to church with us. The sermon messages help teach, equip and encourage us.
STEADFAST:
It is important to find a doctrinally sound church, because God is very clear about His word, that we are not to change it, add to it, or take away from it. 2 Timothy 2:15 tells believers to “Be diligent to present yourself approved to God as a workman who does not need to be ashamed, accurately handling the word of truth.”
FRIEND:
There’s even a verse for THAT?
STEADFAST:
God wants to speak directly to each of us through His word, so that we can know for ourselves, and be confident about what we believe.
ALICE:
But those other people made it seem like it was next to impossible to really know anything.
SINCERE:
God doesn’t expect us to know everything all at once. But He has written these words for us, so that we can study and understand them. Because these words are life changing! Because it is all about God, who is right here, wanting to HELP US do everything... even help us study and understand the Bible. As 2 Timothy 2:7 says, “the Lord will give you understanding in everything.” Are- are we answering your questions?
ALICE:
Aaaaaand so much more.
FRIEND:
Feeling a little overwhelmed, myself.
SINCERE:
Sorry. I know I can get carried away. Bottom line is- “For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened.” (Matthew 7:8)
ALICE:
I do believe. So how and where do I even start to learn?
(Steadfast holds the Bible up for Alice to see, and then they all exit together.)
STEADFAST:
It starts right here. And our Bible study is about to begin, if you want to join?
.....use in address bar: churchskits.blogspot.com
STYLE:
Satire. (10 pages)
PREMISE:
Alice wants to know more about God and what the Bible says, and looks to several different study groups for direction.
TOPIC:
Study God’s word, know truth.
SCRIPTURE:
2 Tim.2:15.
CHARACTERS (LINE COUNT) DESCRIPTION:
(22) ALICE – new Christian
(23) FRIEND – Christian
(11) WISHY – member of a wishy-washy study group
( 9) WASHY – member of a wishy-washy study group
( 6) LEGAL – member of a legalistic study group
( 5) LITIGIOUS – member of a legalistic study group
( 4) STEADFAST - member of doctrinal sound group
( 7) SINCERE – member of doctrinal sound group
NOTES:
- Groups can be bigger, and you can divide up the lines.
- Both skits stand on their own, but if you want to make a longer “drama,” you can start with “Alice in Search Mode”, then flow it into “Alice in Study Mode”; beginning with the search for purpose, then continuing the search for clarity.
PROPS:
3 tables, chairs, 7 Bibles, lots of books.
SCRIPT:
(Wishy and Washy’s group mimes a deep conversation at their table, which has tons of books. Legal and Litigious sit quietly at their table, reading their Bibles. While, Sincere and Steadfast’s group are studying their Bibles, as well as miming the occasional prayer. Each with a Bible, Alice and Friend enter and look around.)
FRIEND:
I’m sure these people with Bible studies will be able to offer more guidance than I’m able to give you right now.
ALICE:
So, which group of people should we approach?
FRIEND:
It’s not always that easy to tell. At least, not always by first impressions. But once you get to know people, it becomes more obvious. Something about fruit. Like, when they practice what they preach.
ALICE:
I just want to know the truth and our purpose in life.
FRIEND:
Like I said, I know the answers are in this book, but I’m still fairly new to this. I mean, I know SOME things, and I know– what I know. BUT I DO know- that I need to know way more. And other Christians can help with that.
ALICE:
Okay, so let’s do this then! But- which group of people should we approach?
FRIEND:
I say– that one.
(Friend points to Sincere and Steadfast’s study group.)
ALICE:
Oh, I was kind of thinking this other one. They have way more books.
(Alice marches toward Wishy and Washy’s group and stands there, waiting. Finally, Wishy looks up.)
ALICE:
Hi? I hope you can help. I want to know truth.
WISHY:
Absolutely. So, what kind of truth?
ALICE:
THE truth.
FRIEND:
God’s truth. In other words, we want to know more about what’s in the Bible.
WISHY:
Oh, well, that’s a very big book.
WASHY:
Yeah, LOTS of pages. And with LOTS of ideas, that can be interpreted in so many different ways.
FRIEND:
Really? Well, the one verse I know is John 3:16 which says God sent His one and only Son to die for us so that when we believe, we will have eternal life with Him in heaven.
WISHY:
(philosophically)
But when or how we “believe”– what is ALL really involved in that?
WASHY:
And did the Son really die, or was it figuratively, as this author writes in his book.
(Washy holds up a book.)
WISHY:
This author, here, goes into other debates on that issue.
(holding up another book)
But, what’s really clear is that you need to know things so you can feel the right things.
WASHY:
We just need guidelines really. If it doesn’t FEEL right, then what the Bible offers are only suggestions.
WISHY:
There is supposedly a verse in the Bible- something about knowing, believing and asking– then getting stuff.
(Washy fishes for and holds up yet another book.)
WASHY:
Exactly. Like, I’m definitely feeling the things that this book is saying about that-
FRIEND:
Again– what does the Bible say? Where is your Bible, by the way? Don’t you have a Bible?
WISHY:
Well, that’s the thing. All of these authors have studied the Bible, or have studied writings by others who have studied the Bible, and have come up with different ideas and interpretations that are way more palatable.
WASHY:
That’s why I recommend that you read whichever books you feel are closest to what you want.
ALICE:
But there IS purpose to life, right?!
WASHY:
Of course. God wants us to feel good.
FRIEND:
As in joy! God definitely wants us to experience joy!
WISHY:
I do think the Bible has the word “joy” in it- in several places. From what we’ve been told.
ALICE:
So how do you find joy?
WISHY:
It’s very complicated. I mean, you really just need to-
FRIEND:
FEEL IT?
WISHY:
Yeeeaaah.
(Washy motions to all of the books.)
WASHY:
And read lots of books– and articles- on whatever topic you might be curious about. One cannot do enough research. Especially if you are the type who likes to debate.
FRIEND:
What about putting into practice the stuff you have learned?
WISHY:
It is WAY better to be knowledgeable.
WASHY:
Oh! I’ve got a book right here on wisdom. It is all about the different ideas of interpretation. There isn’t really any way to know with clarity what God is actually saying.
(Friend looks at Alice with arms out in questioning wonder, like ‘what is going on?’)
ALICE:
I feel like I’ve been here before.
WASHY:
Déjà vu?
ALICE:
I’m feel like I’m getting the run around. I just want– I need- something definitive. I want to know God’s truth.
FRIEND:
Here is truth- this- is a waste of time.
WISHY:
You don’t want to know what we think?
FRIEND:
That’s the problem– all we are hearing is what YOU think. We are more interested in what God says. Come on.
(Wishy and Washy wave them off and exit, as Friend and Alice walk over to the next table where Legit and Litigious are pouring over their Bibles. Both look up.)
LEGAL:
Are you here to join our group?
ALICE:
If you’ll have us.
LITIGIOUS:
Of course we will. Our church will be very impressed that we have added to our numbers.
FRIEND:
It’s nice to see that you all have Bibles.
LEGAL:
Of course we have Bibles.
ALICE:
So you know God’s truth?
LITIGIOUS:
We have to. God’s laws are truth. How else can we obey, if we don’t know God’s laws!?
FRIEND:
I’ve also been told about God’s love and grace.
ALICE:
I have so many questions, I can’t wait to get started.
LITIGIOUS:
Well, before we get started, let’s get something straight, here. You need to just take our word for it. Asking questions isn’t a good idea. One starts to drift into that type of belief system where one goes by their feelings.
ALICE:
We just met a few of those-
LEGAL:
Stay away from those! What’s important is that you start memorizing the Ten Commandments. AND we can fill you in on what those all entail. Like, for instance, what you’re wearing. I know you don’t know any better, yet. But after this you will, and then you can do better next time.
ALICE:
What is wrong with what I’m wearing?
LEGAL:
Where do I start?
FRIEND:
Hold on, you glossed over the point I made before about God’s love and grace.
LITIGIOUS:
Listen, those are very dangerous concepts, that can lead to disobedience. Just the fact that you are curious about it, leads me to think that you have a rebellious heart, and are getting ready to commit a sin. You need to repent!
ALICE:
(to Friend)
I feel afraid to move.
LEGAL:
That is the only thing you should feel. Fear! We are to fear the Lord!
FRIEND:
I have to think and pray about this. We are free to think and pray, right?
LEGAL:
Only if it leads to repentance and obedience.
ALICE:
Okay, well, then, see you around.
LITIGIOUS:
If you leave, you are sinning!
(Alice is suddenly afraid to move. Friend grabs Alice and drags her out. As they rush away, they happen upon the third and last table. Sincere and Steadfast group look up, intent on helping.)
SINCERE:
Hi, welcome. Did you want to join us!
FRIEND:
Ah, thank you? I don’t know. Maybe you can or cannot help. We seriously need some guidance.
ALICE:
I want to know God’s truth. And if there is purpose.
STEADFAST:
(finding and reading)
Well, Jesus says, in John 14:6, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father except through Me.” And regarding purpose, Romans 8:28 says, “And we know that God causes all things to work together for good- to those who love God- to those who are called according to His purpose.”
FRIEND:
That’s deep. Can you say anything about God’s grace?
SINCERE:
Definitely. In Ephesians 2:8-9, it says, “For by grace you have been saved through faith; and this is not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; not a result of works, so that no one may boast.”
ALICE:
I have so much to learn.
FRIEND:
Me, as well, but we first have to know a few things. Like, are you guided by God’s laws or by feelings?
SINCERE:
Ah, while we all have God-given consciences- as believers, we should be guided by God’s words and His indwelling Holy Spirit, as well as other steadfast believers. While God gives instructions to help us grow in our faith, and help us get along with others, Christianity is not about do’s and don’ts. It’s all about having a personal relationship with the Lord! And the Bible is His love letter to us. So, when we do obey, because we love Him, that is when we will experience God and His blessings.
FRIEND:
So, God’s grace is important?
SINCERE:
Because of God’s grace, we cannot lose our salvation!
FRIEND:
And, asking about it is not rebellious?
SINCERE:
What?! I don’t know where you’d get that idea from. We believe the Bible is the inerrant word of God, and the final authority. Therefore, we encourage everyone not to just take our word for it, but ask questions, and study the Bible on your own, every day. Then, every week, we meet for a Bible study. As well, why don’t you come to church with us. The sermon messages help teach, equip and encourage us.
STEADFAST:
It is important to find a doctrinally sound church, because God is very clear about His word, that we are not to change it, add to it, or take away from it. 2 Timothy 2:15 tells believers to “Be diligent to present yourself approved to God as a workman who does not need to be ashamed, accurately handling the word of truth.”
FRIEND:
There’s even a verse for THAT?
STEADFAST:
God wants to speak directly to each of us through His word, so that we can know for ourselves, and be confident about what we believe.
ALICE:
But those other people made it seem like it was next to impossible to really know anything.
SINCERE:
God doesn’t expect us to know everything all at once. But He has written these words for us, so that we can study and understand them. Because these words are life changing! Because it is all about God, who is right here, wanting to HELP US do everything... even help us study and understand the Bible. As 2 Timothy 2:7 says, “the Lord will give you understanding in everything.” Are- are we answering your questions?
ALICE:
Aaaaaand so much more.
FRIEND:
Feeling a little overwhelmed, myself.
SINCERE:
Sorry. I know I can get carried away. Bottom line is- “For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened.” (Matthew 7:8)
ALICE:
I do believe. So how and where do I even start to learn?
(Steadfast holds the Bible up for Alice to see, and then they all exit together.)
STEADFAST:
It starts right here. And our Bible study is about to begin, if you want to join?
Comments
Post a Comment