ABRAHAMIC COVENANT – by Tanis Harms, © 2013
ABRAHAMIC COVENANT – by Tanis Harms, © 2013
.....use in address bar: churchskits.blogspot.com
STYLE:
Drama. (4 pages)
PREMISE:
Lot questions Abram’s faithfulness to God who has made promises.
TOPIC:
Abrahamic Covenant/promise, faith.
SCRIPTURE:
Gen.12:1 – 15:18; Heb.11:8-16.
CHARACTERS (LINE COUNT) DESCRIPTION:
(16) ABRAM –
(16) LOT =
PROPS:
2 chairs.
SCRIPT:
(Abram sits down, tired. Lot approaches sheepishly.)
LOT:
Uncle Abram –
ABRAM:
Yes, Lot.
.....use in address bar: churchskits.blogspot.com
STYLE:
Drama. (4 pages)
PREMISE:
Lot questions Abram’s faithfulness to God who has made promises.
TOPIC:
Abrahamic Covenant/promise, faith.
SCRIPTURE:
Gen.12:1 – 15:18; Heb.11:8-16.
CHARACTERS (LINE COUNT) DESCRIPTION:
(16) ABRAM –
(16) LOT =
PROPS:
2 chairs.
SCRIPT:
(Abram sits down, tired. Lot approaches sheepishly.)
LOT:
Uncle Abram –
ABRAM:
Yes, Lot.
LOT:
I– there’s– ah- something I don’t understand.
ABRAM:
Sit down. What do you want to know?
LOT:
Well, where to start? Okay, first, you left your homeland. And- other than your wife, and me– you left your entire family.
ABRAM:
God spoke to me and promised me: land, descendants and blessings.
LOT:
So we move to this so-called promised land, but there was a famine and we had to go to Egypt.
ABRAM:
But God brought us back here and blessed us with SO much that we ran out of land and had to split up.
LOT:
(speaking with guilt)
Yes, and you let me choose which land I wanted. I went east to the Jordan valley- where it was much greener. And you stayed here in Canaan.
ABRAM:
It’s all right. Don’t feel bad. God showed me this land, and reminded me of all His promises.
LOT:
I suppose because I took the nicer land, my land was attacked and looted. I mean, they took all of my possessions, and took all of us captive. Probably serves me right.
ABRAM:
But you are safe now. Everything worked out.
LOT:
Only because someone came and told you, and then you came with your– trained men– your little army– and saved us.
ABRAM:
We are family. Of course, I’m going to help you.
LOT:
I understand that. What I don’t understand is, the king of Sodom has offered you all the riches taken in that war– and you turned it down!!! I’m struggling to understand this. They JUST offered you a reward for all your services. That's it.
ABRAM:
Ah, but if I took that reward, then people would say that the king of Sodom made me rich. I serve God. And God is going to reward me.
LOT:
And you pretty much have everything, but– you still do not have a son.
ABRAM:
You worry too much. God spoke to me again last night, and again promised me the land, descendants and blessings. Soooo, I brought up the topic of not having a son yet, and mentioned that I could just– make one of my servants an heir. Okay, admittedly, I worry sometimes too, and want to take matters into my own hands. But God promised me last night that I would have my very own son.
LOT:
And you believe Him?
ABRAM:
Yes. Last night God made a contract with me... a covenant.
LOT:
(getting worried)
Oh no! You mean, the usual? The type we use between each other?
ABRAM:
Yes, God had me bring the proper animals and birds. I split them in half, with a clear pathway between.
LOT:
And you both went down the pathway?! Abram, you do realize that you’re not ALWAYS so good with keeping YOUR promises.
ABRAM:
Oh, I realize this.
LOT:
So you do realize that WHEN you break this covenant, you will end up like those animals– split in half. I’m talking death, here. I mean, that’s how these covenants work.
ABRAM:
I know. Except that God caused me to fall into a deep sleep, and then ONLY GOD passed through the animal halves.
LOT:
Wait. So there’s an agreement, but it’s only up to God to keep His side of the agreement?
ABRAM:
Exactly. God’s promise is always there– no matter what I do. But- the more I obey God, the more blessings my family and I will receive.
LOT:
But you could have had ALL the riches from the king of Sodom RIGHT NOW.
ABRAM:
Lot, don’t you think that if I accepted the reward from the king of Sodom, he would expect some loyalty from me in return at some point. And who knows what this man might all expect from me. I do not want my loyalty tied to some earthly king with questionable morals and ulterior motives. I choose the reward given by God- who is all-powerful, all-knowing, faithful, holy, just, patient, loving, and generous. WHO do you think will give me a better life? WHO do you think has my best interest at heart?
LOT:
Sure, just when I think you’ve given me some answers, you throw in some really big questions.
(Abram slaps Lot on the back as they get up and walk out.)
ABRAM:
Well, if you heard anything I've just said, then you’ll know the big answer.
I– there’s– ah- something I don’t understand.
ABRAM:
Sit down. What do you want to know?
LOT:
Well, where to start? Okay, first, you left your homeland. And- other than your wife, and me– you left your entire family.
ABRAM:
God spoke to me and promised me: land, descendants and blessings.
LOT:
So we move to this so-called promised land, but there was a famine and we had to go to Egypt.
ABRAM:
But God brought us back here and blessed us with SO much that we ran out of land and had to split up.
LOT:
(speaking with guilt)
Yes, and you let me choose which land I wanted. I went east to the Jordan valley- where it was much greener. And you stayed here in Canaan.
ABRAM:
It’s all right. Don’t feel bad. God showed me this land, and reminded me of all His promises.
LOT:
I suppose because I took the nicer land, my land was attacked and looted. I mean, they took all of my possessions, and took all of us captive. Probably serves me right.
ABRAM:
But you are safe now. Everything worked out.
LOT:
Only because someone came and told you, and then you came with your– trained men– your little army– and saved us.
ABRAM:
We are family. Of course, I’m going to help you.
LOT:
I understand that. What I don’t understand is, the king of Sodom has offered you all the riches taken in that war– and you turned it down!!! I’m struggling to understand this. They JUST offered you a reward for all your services. That's it.
ABRAM:
Ah, but if I took that reward, then people would say that the king of Sodom made me rich. I serve God. And God is going to reward me.
LOT:
And you pretty much have everything, but– you still do not have a son.
ABRAM:
You worry too much. God spoke to me again last night, and again promised me the land, descendants and blessings. Soooo, I brought up the topic of not having a son yet, and mentioned that I could just– make one of my servants an heir. Okay, admittedly, I worry sometimes too, and want to take matters into my own hands. But God promised me last night that I would have my very own son.
LOT:
And you believe Him?
ABRAM:
Yes. Last night God made a contract with me... a covenant.
LOT:
(getting worried)
Oh no! You mean, the usual? The type we use between each other?
ABRAM:
Yes, God had me bring the proper animals and birds. I split them in half, with a clear pathway between.
LOT:
And you both went down the pathway?! Abram, you do realize that you’re not ALWAYS so good with keeping YOUR promises.
ABRAM:
Oh, I realize this.
LOT:
So you do realize that WHEN you break this covenant, you will end up like those animals– split in half. I’m talking death, here. I mean, that’s how these covenants work.
ABRAM:
I know. Except that God caused me to fall into a deep sleep, and then ONLY GOD passed through the animal halves.
LOT:
Wait. So there’s an agreement, but it’s only up to God to keep His side of the agreement?
ABRAM:
Exactly. God’s promise is always there– no matter what I do. But- the more I obey God, the more blessings my family and I will receive.
LOT:
But you could have had ALL the riches from the king of Sodom RIGHT NOW.
ABRAM:
Lot, don’t you think that if I accepted the reward from the king of Sodom, he would expect some loyalty from me in return at some point. And who knows what this man might all expect from me. I do not want my loyalty tied to some earthly king with questionable morals and ulterior motives. I choose the reward given by God- who is all-powerful, all-knowing, faithful, holy, just, patient, loving, and generous. WHO do you think will give me a better life? WHO do you think has my best interest at heart?
LOT:
Sure, just when I think you’ve given me some answers, you throw in some really big questions.
(Abram slaps Lot on the back as they get up and walk out.)
ABRAM:
Well, if you heard anything I've just said, then you’ll know the big answer.
Comments
Post a Comment